Education focus of November Chamber meeting
Southeast College President, SE Cornerstone Director of Education will speak at meeting
November 20, 2023, 8:39 am
Ryan Kiedrowski, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter
Education will be the focus of the November Chamber of Commerce meeting, with both the Southeast Cornerstone School Division and the Southeast College represented.
The November Chamber meeting is set for Tuesday, November 21 at 11:45 am at the Canalta Hotel. Lunch is served and everyone is welcome.
School Division director of education
Southeast Cornerstone School Division Director of Education Keith Keating will speak at the November 21 Chamber of Commerce meeting. He will speak on the division’s plans for the future and where Moosomin fits into those plans.
Southeast College President Vicky Roy will attend the November Chamber meeting along with:
• Jody Holzmiller, VP of Professional Training & Continuing Studies
• Dean Loberg, VP of Academic Affairs and Teaching and Learning
• Timothy Spielman, VP of Finance and Administration
• Sheena Onrait, Executive Director of Communication and Strategic Enrollment
The college recently unveiled a new strategic plan, and will make a presentation on that plan.
Moosomin EDO Casey McCormac will speak about plans for developing a tourism information centre in Moosomin. McCormac will be providing an update on the progress of the project.
There will be discussion on Christmas promotions and events including:
• Chamber Food Drive on now until December 9. Chamber members will be collecting food for the Moosomin Food Share Christmas Hampers. The Food Share says donations are down this year and demand is up, so the Chamber wants to help fill the hampers for Christmas. Food donations can be dropped off at Glasser’s TV Service, Celebration Ford, Andrew Agencies or the World-Spectator.
• Moonlight Madness on Thursday, November 30 from 5-9 pm. Shoppers will have the chance to win $500, $250, or $100 in Moosomin Bucks by shopping at five stores and getting their cash card stamped. One new addition to Moonlight Madness this year is an art and craft market at the Legion Hall. The art and craft market is being organized by the Moosomin Visual Arts Centre.
• Santa Day on Saturday, December 9. The Kinettes will organize photos with Santa in the morning, and the Chamber of Commerce will sponsor a free matinee movie at the Community Theatre in the afternoon.
• Countdown to Christmas Draw December 11-17. Shoppers can win $500, $250, or $100 in Moosomin Bucks by having their cash card stamped at five businesses by making a purchase this week. The draw was planned to coincide with the Pipe-Si-Cana Games.
• Pipe-Si-Cana Games December 15, 16 and 17. The town recreation department is planning the return of the Pipe-Si-Cana Winter Games, hoping to attract a lot of people to Moosomin for a long list of events.
• Kinettes Santa Claus Parade Sunday, December 17 at 7 pm. Marshalling will begin at 6:30 pm. The Santa Claus Parade has become an annual tradition over the last few years, featuring lighted floats and spreading Christmas cheer.
The November Chamber meeting is set for Tuesday, November 21 at 11:45 am at the Canalta Hotel meeting room
Lunch is served and everyone is welcome.