Assault, Attempted Murder charges laid in Moosomin incident
17 charges laid altogether
October 1, 2021, 1:38 pm
44-year-old Don Bleau of Moosomin, owner of Moosomin Towing and Auto Service, is facing several charges including assault and attempted murder, after an incident in Moosomin Wednesday evening.
Shortly after 9 pm Wednesday, Moosomin RCMP received multiple complaints of a man driving a truck around the town of Moosomin "in a reckless manner."
Police say that, as officers were en route to respond to those calls, they were flagged down by a person who reported to have been assaulted by the same man.
The individual indicated that th suspect had rammed their vehicle with his truck before leaving the scene.
As RCMP officers drove through town, they located the truck outside of Moosomin Towing and Auto Service. Police say Don Bleau left the business and pointed a weapon in the direction of police.
Police say Bleau walked across the street towards a house, and shouted threats toward the police and Rob Austin, who had come out from the house.
Police say Bleau then discharged a crossbow in the direction of Austin, who was not struck or injured by the arrow.
One arrow fired from the crossbow stuck in the wall of Rob and Maggie Austin’s home on the corner of Ellice and South Front Street.
A second arrow hit the Austins’ dog, who ran off with the arrow in him. The dog, Sunny, was found the following day after a search involving dozens of volunteers, and taken for veterinary care.
According to police, Bleau got back into his truck after firing the crossbow, left and then drove back again to the same house, damaging multiple vehicles and other property.
Police say Bleau then drove towards one of the officers on scene. The officer was able to avoid being struck by Bleau's truck. The truck then crashed into a boulevard, disabling it.
Bleau left the truck and was arrested. One of the officers and Bleau received what were described as minor injuries.
A crossbow was seized by police at the scene.
As a result of investigation, Bleau has been charged with:
• Attempted murder, Section 239(1)(b) of the Criminal Code of Canada
• Assault, Section 266, Criminal Code of Canada
• Committing assault by using or threatening to use a weapon, Section 267(a) of the Criminal Code of Canada
• Assaulting a peace officer, Section 270(2) of the Criminal Code of Canada
• Uttering threats to cause bodily harm, Section 264.1(1)(a) of the Criminal Code of Canada
• Resisting arrest, Section 129(a) of the Criminal Code of Canada
• Operating a conveyance in a manner dangerous to the public, Section 320.13(1) of the Criminal Code of Canada
• Operating a conveyance while impaired by alcohol, Section 320.14(1)(a) of the Criminal Code of Canada
• Possessing weapon for a purpose dangerous to the public, Section 88(2) of the Criminal Code of Canada
• 6 counts of committing mischief exceeding $5,000, Section 430(3) of the Criminal Code of Canada
• Commiting assault by pointing a weapon, Section 267(a) of the Criminal Code of Canada
• Possessing a firearm without a licence to possess it, Section 91(1) of the Criminal Code of Canada
Bleau was taken into custody by Moosomin RCMP Wednesday night, and made his first court appearance in Regina Provincial Court Friday afternoon.
The investigation is ongoing and Moosomin RCMP are requesting anyone with information or anyone who may have witnessed this incident to contact the Moosomin RCMP by calling 306-435-3361. Information can be submitted anonymously through CrimeStoppers by calling 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) or submitting a tip online at www.saskcrimestoppers.com.